Special Needs ECE
Reports to: Program Supervisor
Follows the Instruction of: Therapists and Supported Child Development and Child’s full team.
Have weekly Discussions with: Parents and Staff Team
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, carries out, and evaluates developmentally appropriate activities and experiences for the specified children.
- Ensures that all activities are developmentally appropriate, and adapts and modifies as needed. Guides and assists children in the development of appropriate life skills, self help skills, and interactive behaviour.
- Facilitates a supportive emotional climate in the playroom for the children and adults.
- Collects data to share with full team (Parents, Supported Child Development, Therapists and Managers)
- Provides short and long term planning and evaluation of the child specific programs offered. Provides recommendations for changes to the program.
- Attends to the children’s physical needs, which may include diapering, toileting, eating, and sleeping.
- Ensures a healthy and safe environment. Maintains health records and administers first aid and medication as required. Observes and removes potential hazards either in the room, outside or throughout the premises. Follows the organizations procedures and government legislation.
- Maintain open and positive communication with parents. Requests input and participation of parents into the development of children’s programs. Confers with parents and team with regards to unusual or problematic issues.
- Follows licensing requirements. Maintains confidentiality of all information related to the Society’s clients and staff.
- Provides work direction to practicum students, casuals, volunteers, and observers.
- Is responsible for filling out forms as they relate to the program for example; payroll sheets, incident report forms, daily routine sheets, etc.
- Performs other related duties, as they are required.
- View themselves and their actions as a role-model for children.
- Completed Hiring Documents
- Completed Criminal Records Check
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Immunization Record in Good Standing
- Early Childhood Diploma – Special Needs License Desired
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially in relationship building with children.
- Good communications skills – proficient in English, both written and spoken
- Good Leadership skills; will model and teach strategies to staff
- Proficient teaching skills and the ability to adapt and modify all experiences.
- Good organization, time and general management skills
- Knowledge of group process and facilitation techniques
- Knowledge of child care development, guidance and discipline, routines and transitions.
- Familiar with the Society’s Policy and Procedures
- Familiar with Licensing Regulations
- Openness and ability to working with a multi disciplinary team.
Salary & Benefits:
Employment Terms: Full time temp Contract; 40 hours/week
Position Start Date: January 2019 until June 2019
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 9 to 5pm (varies)
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application close date: until suitable candidate is hired
Please submit a detailed cover letter that describes what is important to you in your work with children and why you should be considered for the position along with your resume, a copy of your BC License to Practice, current First Aid and Food Safe certificates.
Mail: Douglas College ECE Society
Attn: Susan Hall-Ford
PO Box 2503
New Westminster, BC V3L 5B2
Subject: S/N ECE NW
Note: Douglas College ECE Society works in partnership with Douglas College. This position is NOT a Douglas College Employee Position.
- Position Start Date:
- As soon as possible
- Position Notes:
- January 18 2019
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Employment Term:
- Hours Per Week:
- Application Closing Date:
- until filled
- Application Instructions:
- Email Application
- Other Application Instructions:
Douglas College Early Childhood Education Society is seeking an enthusiastic, passionate and competent Early Childhood Educator to join the DCECEC New West Childcare Team as Special Needs ECE in the 3-5 year old group care program in a temporary Maternity Leave contract.
This full time temp contract position of 8 hours a day is to support a child in his/her full participation in the program. This individual will adapt and modify existing classroom experiences and support the specified children in fully participating in the experiences, engaging with peers, and starting to make appropriate choices within the classroom. This individual will also plan activities specific to the needs of the identified children. It is imperative that this educator hold confidentiality and share information regarding the children only when appropriate and with individuals involved. This Early Childhood Educator will provide support and direct care to children, encouraging their intellectual, physical, creative, social, and emotional growth in a safe and positive environment.