Assistant Teacher--Sandpiper Program
Our west side Sandpiper Program is seeking an Assistant Teacher. The position is available immediately OR for starting in September for the 2019-2020 school term. In the event of a September start, a week of paid training during our summer camps would be expected.
We visit local parks between Main St and MacDonald. This is an outdoor program for children aged 2.5-5yrs that happens every day regardless of the weather. There is no indoor facility. From time to time the children will ride public transit, visit a seniors home etc. Our ideal candidate would have a passion for getting children outside and into nature. While outdoor education experience is preferred, it's not mandatory.
- Exprience in outdoor education is prefered.
- Candidate must have all necessary outdoor clothing.
- CPR Cert
- Local VPD Criminal Record Check
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers
- Experience talking to parents in a kind manner
- Minimum 2 years of working in a preschool or daycare setting.
- Preference is given to candidates that have had experience teaching in an outdoor setting.
- ECE certification or ECEA
- Can be attending school to obtain ECE certification
- Ensuring the safety of the children in the parks.
- Developing emergent curriculum based on the children's interests.
- Ability to work confidently alongside co-teacher.
- Assisting children in connecting with nature via various methods such as plant identification, basic knowledge of local wildlife (birds, insects etc)
- The physical ability to carry a large back pack.
- A commitement to creating and supporting community.
Salary & Benefits:
$18-$20/hr based on experience.
- Position Start Date:
- As soon as possible
- Employment Type:
- Part Time
- Employment Term:
- Hours Per Week:
- Application Closing Date:
- until filled
- Application Instructions:
- Email Application