Origami: When the Paper Folds, the Mind Unfolds
According to research, the manipulation of paper in Origami (the art of paper folding) is an activity that engages the whole brain. When both hands are engaged, motor impulses activate the language portion of the brain, also stimulating the prefrontal cortex which regulates memory and other cognitive functions like self-regulation. Origami is an excellent way for children to discover the principles of math, geometry, sequencing, spatial relationships, sequential memory and reading. Best of all, it only requires one small sheet of paper!
• Learn simple origami that 5 year olds to school-age children may be able to make by themselves.
• Practice making origami animals that can be used in storytelling.
Suitable for: students, parents, adult instructors/administrators, novice and intermediate early care and learning professionals working with 5 year olds to school age children.
All materials included
Presenter: Aiko Matsushiba. Aiko has been a Registered LNR Family Child Care Provider since 2008 and has been enjoying origami since she was a child. She has been using her creativity and artistic skills teaching origami to people of all ages at South Vancouver Family Place, Strong Start and at Vancouver CCRR Network Meetings.
- Requests for cancellations must be received at least 3 business days prior to the workshop date to get a refund, minus any Administration Fees.
- All refunds are subject to a $10 Administration Fee.
- No monies will be refunded or credits offered once the workshop starts, or if it’s missed.
- Westcoast may cancel a workshop at any time. Registrants will be notified and receive a full refund
- It is the participants’ responsibility to read the workshop description and objectives and make sure the training selected is suitable to their learning needs. If you have a question, call us before registering.
- Only Vancouver CCRR Registered LNRs or Vancouver Licensed Family Child Care Providers qualify to pay the FCC Fee and will need a Promo Code received by email to register. Be sure to use this promo code when registering, as no fee adjustments can be made after registration is confirmed.
- Payment must be made at time of registration to reserve your seat.
- Doors close 15 minutes after start time in respect to presenter and participants.
- We are unable to accommodate children during workshop time. Please make child care arrangements.
- Participants must stay for the full workshop to receive a certificate of participation, which will be provided at the end.
- There is a $15 charge to reprint a certificate or receipt for up to 1 year from the workshop date.
- These are non-credit workshops (cannot be applied towards the completion of a certificate, diploma or degree).
- Receipts and handouts are always sent by email.
- If you have questions about a certificate being accepted by the ECE Registry, please contact them at 1-888-338-6622 or
We may take some photographs during workshops with the purpose of promoting our training. By registering you consent to allow us or others attending to take your photograph. If it’s okay with the facilitator, you may photograph some materials, books, etc., but not film the workshop. If you DO NOT wish to be photographed, let the workshop host know.
Be air Aware because we share the air. Scented products such as hair spray or perfume can aggravate health problems for some people, especially those with asthma, allergies and other medical conditions. These can also trigger reactions such as respiratory distress and headaches. Staff and visitors are encouraged not to wear or use any scented products while at Westcoast.