With nearly 12,000 items available on a broad range of topics from ECE theory and program planning to diversity and anti-bias education, the WELL carries everything from children's board books to music and sensory kits.Learn More
Providing Child Care
Providing early care and education for young children is a commitment that must be carefully considered. Quality early care and learning professionals are needed more than ever before. It is important to understand what type of work you want to do and how you want to be educated or trained.
- What age of children do you want to work with?
- Do you want to provide care in your home or do you want to work for someone else?
- Are you interested in child care as a business or as a non-profit, community based service?
There are many choices in front of you. View the resources below and the services available to child care providers through WCCRC to help you make these determinations.
If you don't live in Vancouver, please visit the CCRR website for a list of other Child Care Resource and Referral (CCRR) centres across BC.
We offer Information Sessions for those interested in becoming a registered license-not-required (RLNR) care provider. To be added to our list, please email us at email@example.com with your preferred date.
Upcoming session dates are:
February 10 2021 10:30 am -12 noon
April 14 2021 10:30 am -12 noon
May 12 2021 6:30-8 pm
WCCRC Services For Professionals
- Professional development through training and workshops for continued learning and connection with colleagues.
- An active job posting board for employers and job seekers
- A comprehensive database of child care and related programs in Vancouver for parent referrals
Different Types of Child Care Providers
If you are looking at a profession in the early childhood care and education field view the different types of provider options available below:
To be qualified to work as a certified early childhood educator (ECE) in B.C., you are required to complete a basic early childhood education training program from an approved training institution.
Care for up to 7 children in the licensee’s personal home and where the licensee personally provides the care.
- What Is Family Child Care? (PDF)
- Start-up Funding For Licenced Family Child Care
- Family Child Care Business Manual (PDF) This is also available as an electronic resource in our Library catalogue
- Community Care Facilities Licensing, Vancouver Coastal Health
Care for 2 unrelated children, in addition to their own, OR 1 sibling group, at any one time. You must at least 19 years of age.
An adult over 19 years of age who has experience working with children, has completed at least 20 hours of training, & can provide care and mature guidance to children.
Centre Based Child Care or Preschool Resources
If you are starting or operating centre based child care or preschool view the resources below:
- Community Care Facilities Licensing , Vancouver Coastal Health
- Provincial Resources for running a child care program in BC.
- Information on provincial funding for new spaces
- City of Vancouver resources for starting a child care.
- A handbook for local government requirements (PDF)
- Coronavirus Health Guidance for Child Care & Schools (PDF)
- MCFD COVID19 Advice, March 14 2020 (PDF)
- Vancouver Coastal Health Update on COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) (PDF)
- Sneezes & Diseases Resource Book
- COVID 19: Public Health Guidance for Childcare Settings (PDF)
2018 Child Care Wage Survey Report
An online survey was sent to all staff working in centre-based child care programs in Vancouver in April and May of 2018 through funding provided by the City of Vancouver. The findings are now available in the published report entitled "2018 Wages and Working Conditions Survey: Vancouver-Centre Child Care Programs". An Executive Summary is also available.
Upcoming Workshops & Training Opportunities
Wednesday March 10, 2021 Time: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm 1.5 hours Thursday March 11, 2021 Time: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm 1.5 hours…
Wednesday March 17, 2021 Time: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm 1.5 hours Thursday March 18, 2021 Time: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm 1.5 hours…
Tue March 23, Thu March 24 and Mar 25, 2021 Time: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm 1.5 hours per session. Must attend all 3 sessions. Before you register: Westcoast offers…