This is a multiage program, we have toddlers, preschool and after school care children in the same facility.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Current Criminal Record Check.
- Current Early Childhood Educator License to Practice in BC required
- Work experience with children ages 3-6, preferably with experience in the area of outdoor education focusing on play-based, student-led learning.
- Interpersonal skills as you are interacting with children and parents.
- Alongside the management plan and implement a dynamic forest program.
- Ensure the safety of all children including but not limited to forest play, hiking, climbing trees or while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams and other terrains.
- Ensure the daily preparation of learning areas and materials.
- Assume overall responsibility for program tools and equipment, to include safety, use, and maintenance.
- Plan, prepare and co-create seasonal activities and projects utilizing natural materials, locally foraged or sourced.
- Implement mentorship strategies that are individually focused and age-appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion and respect.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and parent meetings as needed.
- Communicate with parents effectively, in person and occasionally by phone.
- Be physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat) including the ability to walk distances and over uneven terrain, carry a backpack and supplies.
- Support the benefits of risk-taking, movement, and physical development in the early years.
- Encourage familiarity with the local flora and fauna, to include poisonous plants and their location, or be willing to be mentored, seek outside training or self-study.
- Model and teach outdoor skills including risk management, knots, shelter building, self-care/appropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices and interacting with local wildlife.
Salary & Benefits:
Starting Salary 22 per hour with room for growth
About the Company
Saplings Outdoor Program is a nature-based program located in West Vancouver for children ages 2.5-9 years old. The main purpose of our program is to provide children with an opportunity to connect with the environment in a safe and enjoyable way. Nature is a child’s best education. We have a new indoor/ outdoor facility opening in the fall.
- Position Start Date:
- August 25th, 2019
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Employment Term:
- Hours Per Week:
- Application Closing Date:
- until filled
- Application Instructions:
- Email Application