Completion of an Early Childhood Education diploma/certificate and current certification to practise in BC and possession of a valid first aid certificate. Or, an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer which may include courses and/or workshops in Special Needs Training, working with multi-barriered and/or multi-cultural preschool.
Preference may be given to individuals who have experience working with children with varying levels of English language acquisition; children who have experienced trauma; and children who display behavioural challenges associated with the stress.
Reporting to the Manager – LINC Preschool, plans, prepares, and implements daily learning activities for children, (between 30 months and up to 5 years) who have English as a second language, by introducing curriculum and concepts that targets different areas of child development and focuses on age-appropriate readiness for kindergarten. Provides open-ended explorations of materials, books, science experiments and other activities consistent with approved curriculum, which promote critical thinking, questioning and development of all cognitive areas. Assists in maintaining records of children’s progress, routines, and interests, and keep parents regularly informed about their child’s development. Observes signs of emotional or developmental problems in children and inform Manager and when appropriate to the parents. Ensures a safe environment is maintained at all times.
- Ensures children attain planned learning in language skills, social behaviours, critical thinking, problem-solving, motor and social skills, and other identified developmental goals.
- Assists in research, providing input, developing materials and conducting classroom and other activities consistent with approved curriculum.
- Organize activities so children can learn about the world, explore interests, and develop the skills necessary to be successful in Kindergarten.
- Develop schedules and routines to ensure children have enough physical activity, rest, and playtime. This will be accomplished through careful observation of the children and by following their lead.
- Documents children’s attendance, learning and progress. Maintains up-to-date records, including a communication log book. Assists in keeping records of the students’ progress, routines, and interests, and keep parents informed about their child’s development. Ensures all documentation is written in a consistent and thoughtful manner that will inspire the curriculum and can be used as a tool for collaboration in the preschool setting.
- Identifies children showing signs of emotional, developmental, or health-related problems, and shares concerns with Manager, parents or guardians, and child development specialists when necessary.
- Reports identified learning and/or behavioural concerns to the ECE Manager. Assists Manager in determining appropriate parental/caregiver interventions which could help the progress of the child’s development. Takes part in parent/caregiver consultations as required.
- Assists the Manager – LINC Preschool in the enrolment of new children as required.
- Ensures the continuing safety and security of the children. Immediately notifies the Manager of any safety/security concerns regarding the children and/or family.
- Works with ECE team members to ensure the centre is safe, neat, and attractive and materials are changed regularly so that the children’s interests are met and stimulated. Attends to housekeeping needs as required.
- Works in partnership with other service providers in the community such as: such as the Public Health Nurse, the Public Health Dental Program and consultants from Vancouver Supported Child Development and The Pace Program to support the well-being of the children and their families.
- May on occasion assist with training volunteers and practicum students.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary Rate: $20.13 per hour; 100% paid group medical benefits and 3 weeks’ annual vacation for eligible staff
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
- Position Start Date:
- As soon as possible
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Employment Term:
- Hours Per Week:
- Application Closing Date:
- May 28th, 2019
- Application Instructions:
- Email Application
- Other Application Instructions:
Email applications must include “2019-LINC-07” and can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org