Director, Healthy Child Development
Date Posted: November 25, 2019
Position Title: Director, Healthy Child Development
Location: Vancouver, BC
Terms: Full Time
Placement: January 2020
Compensation: Under review
Reports To: Vice President, Children and Youth Services
The YMCA cares about the same things you do: raising healthy and resilient children, ensuring youth feel confident and supported, and helping people feel healthy and connected to others in the community. As the Lower Mainland's largest operational charity, we are 4,000 staff and volunteers providing vital community services that are having a positive impact on some of the community's most pressing social issues. Central to our success are:
- The people who unite behind our mission to help people reach their potential
- The safe and welcoming places we provide—from health and fitness facilities to childcare centres to camps—that foster a sense of community
- The comprehensive community programs that provide the skills, opportunities and confidence people need to achieve their potential
These people, places, and programs come together to create a sense of belonging and a supportive network that have proven time and again to help people achieve their personal goals. For some the impact can be truly transformational and can have an enormous ripple effect on those around them.
- Do the right thing - You are caring, respectful, honest and responsible in all you do
- Put people first -You believe in the strengths, perspectives and passion of people
- Keep our promises -You do what you say you will do
- Lead by example -You are courageous, speak with conviction, listen attentively and collaborate
About the position:
Reporting to the Vice President, Children and Youth Services, the Director of Healthy Child Development is responsible for the implementation and ongoing operation of Healthy Child Development programs and other initiatives designed to positively impact the health and well-being of children during their middle years. As identified in the Association’s Strategic Plan, key priorities for this position will be to support the growth of licensed before and after school care.
Post-secondary degree or equivalent University Degree in related Business Administration or combination of relevant education and experience
- Minimum 5 - 7 years multidiscipline management experience
- Well versed in child development and child care programming and leadership.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with our diverse families, staff, volunteers, community stakeholders and partners, as well as demonstrated experience and sensitivity in dealing with people of different backgrounds and minority communities
- Excellent written communication and public speaking skills
- Good judgement and sound decision making in resolving complex issues
- Proven leadership of dedicated, high-performance teams
- Manage the ongoing operation of existing and new community programs. Existing programs include Licensed Before and After School Care, Day Camps, and Recreation based programs
- Ensures the delivery of high quality programs and services that meet Provincial, Federal and YMCA requirements and standards.
- Ensure fiscal responsibility by planning and administering the department's annual operating budget of approximately $ 7 million. This includes assessing variances, forecasting and making recommendations to address current and future expenditures.
- Direct supervision of Management Team, including providing ongoing management of employee, completing annual reviews within required process timeframes.
- Ensure that all branch policies, procedures, practices, processes, and systems comply with applicable legislation and licensing requirements.
- Builds and maintains relationships with key stakeholders to meet program area requirements, including addressing issues and concerns as required.
- Plans, participates in and supports Association-wide initiatives and fundraising events.
Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
Diversity: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring a richness to the YMCA
Philanthropy: Demonstrates a personal responsibility for the YMCA as a charity
Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
Outcome Thinking: Visualizes, understands and articulates YMCA outcomes and formulates strategies, plans and actions for achievement
Quality Focus: Ensures YMCA programs and services are superior
Teamwork: Actively builds teams and encourages open relationships for maximum organizational effectiveness
- Position Start Date:
- January 6th, 2020
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Employment Term:
- Application Closing Date:
- December 6th, 2019
- Application Instructions:
- Email Application
- Other Application Instructions:
To apply: Please apply using the link below:
Internal Applicants: Login in to your Employee ADP account and apply through the Career Center
Application Deadline: December 6, 2019 6:00PM PST