Head Teacher - Reggio-inspired Preschool
- Current First Aid and CPR Certificate
- Criminal record check
The successful candidate will have a genuine curiosity and love for life, a strong commitment to personal growth, and experience in the Reggio philosophy. If this resonates with you and you can contribute to our team by helping us cultivate an environment where joy, kindness and creativity leads the emotional, spiritual, intellectual and cognitive development of the children, we want to hear from you as soon as possible. We are looking for someone who:
- Will be able to offer open-ended learning experiences as an invitation to wonder, explore, and create in as many ways as possible to the children of our preschool
- Will be flexible, patient, hard-working, empathetic and highly motivated
- Is able to effectively communicate with children, colleagues and families
- Has demonstrated success in early childhood settings
- Computer literacy (Mac) and experience with Google Drive are valuable assets
- Strong administrative skills
Key Responsibilities –Classroom and Operational
This position is one of a three member teaching team that collaborates closely to deliver an exceptional, enriching preschool experience.
- We strongly believe in the environment as the third teacher. This means you should be able to assess, maintain and constantly adapt the physical environment; changing materials, provocations and set-ups prepared weekly as part of the unfolding curriculum.
- We use observations and documentation to expand project work. You should feel confident with writing observations, reflecting on personal practice and engaging in passionate and respectful pedagogical dialogues within the team.
- All teachers share responsibility for daily classroom set-up, snack preparation, and clean-up.
- The team ensures the maintenance of school records and communicates with prospective families regarding classroom-related questions (annual registration is handled by the Board).
- The team coordinates the purchasing of school supplies, including art and educational materials, library books and snack items.
- The team ensures the school’s website is kept up to date with current classroom photos.
Key Administrative Duties as Head Teacher
- Work with the school’s Pedagogista to ensure the school’s ongoing program effectively reflects the Reggio Emilia inspired vision of our school
- Coordinate school’s annual calendar and coordinate all field-trips and special events in consultation with the teachers
- Connect regularly with Reggio network and utilize Pedagogista for continued professional development
- Communicate with parents and Executive Board via newsletters, emails, etc.
- Facilitate problem solving between teacher and parents
- Support the teaching team in Reggio inspired documentation process
- Attend Executive Board and Staffing Meetings
- Support research partnerships and practicum student placements with colleges and universities
Salary & Benefits:
- A competitive salary based on experience, plus benefits, medical/dental
- Paid vacation during Winter Break (2 weeks) and Spring Break (2 weeks) aligning with the Vancouver School Board calendar
- Paid Professional Development and sick days
Hours of Work
·Regular working hours are 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday to Thursday (no class on Friday’s)
·Time before and after class are used for classroom set up/prep, planning, documentation, administrative duties, etc.
·The team plans and attends occasional events that foster and enrich the preschool community including the annual welcome event and open house.
·Note: the class schedule is subject to change in September for the 2020-2021 school year
The Vancouver Child Study Centre (VCSC) is a well-established and well-regarded play-based preschool with over 50 years of history. It is inspired by and dedicated to the Reggio philosophy. We are strongly supported by our families and board. Please go to the VCSC website for further information about its programs and more: www.vancouverchildstudycentre.ca/
- Position Start Date:
- As soon as possible
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Employment Term:
- Hours Per Week:
- 38 (see notes below)
- Contact Name:
- Jannel Shute
- 3525 West 24th Avenue Vancouver, British Columbia V6S 1L5
- Application Closing Date:
- until filled
- Other Application Instructions:
We are searching for an experienced, confident and creative ECE who would be interested in being the Head Teacher for our preschool. VCSC runs two separate classes, 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday).
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.