Awahsuk Aboriginal Headstart Preschool Coordinator
The Awahsuk Head Start Preschool program is designed to meet the spiritual, emotional, intellectual and physical needs of Aboriginal preschool-aged children. We are looking to recruit an individual who is passionate about working in a different way that blends both, the traditional and modern practices and provide wrap-around cultural support. We are keen to build capacity in Indigenous approaches to health and healing in Surrey and will support the right candidate with growth opportunities.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Demonstrated background in Early Childhood Development;
- Strong leadership skills that promote collaboration and learning;
- Knowledge and respect of local first nations communities and culture, including urban Aboriginal and Metis people;
- Ability to effectively use computer programs, such as word, excel, outlook, etc.
- Understands the Community Care Facilities Act and Licensing regulations;
- Management or supervisory experience pertaining to a childcare facility;
- Ability to maintain secure client file systems and maintain confidentiality;
- Experience in writing proposals and reporting to funders meeting deadlines;
- Knowledge of community resources;
- A valid childcare First Act certificate;
- A clear criminal record check for vulnerable people is a must for all FRAFCA employees;
- Medical clearance from a physician stating that you are physically, mentally and emotionally capable of working with young children;
- TB test may be required;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development;
- ECE Certificate or Diploma and license to practice in British Columbia is an asset.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Analytical and observational skills;
- Basic computer skills (including Microsoft Office);
- Ability to multi-task;
- Self – motivated
- Desire to work in a diverse team environment and cross-cultural setting.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Minimal 3 years’ experience in coordinating a childcare setting and staff;
- Tracks and coordinates budget, completes periodic reports for the funders;
- Liaises with the office managers, funders, BOD and pertinent community organizations;
- Understands and has experience around laws and standards pertaining to non-profit organizations, confidentiality and childcare facilities;
- Recruits, trains and evaluates staff members within the team;
- Leads and coordinates preschool staff, ensuring all legal and contractual requirements are met;
- Ensures the Awahsuk Preschool provides an accessible, nurturing culturally sensitive care and education program for young children, consistent with the philosophy in our guidelines stated in our policy and procedures manual and follows the Awaksuk principles and guidelines;
- Ensures that the Awakshuk Preschool is family-friendly and supportive;
- Other duties as required.
Salary & Benefits:
- Opportunity to work alongside cultural knowledge keepers & Elders;
- Holistic, culturally safe, approaches to serving our clients and community;
- Freedom to share and observe own cultural practices (i.e. smudging in the office);
- Parking available on-site;
- Extended Health Benefits Package (Medical, Dental, Travel) and Employee Assistance Plan after 3-month continuous employment;
- 10 annual paid sick/personal leave days;
- Paid vacation days (up to 25 days based on years of service);
- Offices located along the main transportation routes. Main office by the Skytrain station.
We thank all that apply, but only those selected for interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Open until suitable candidate is found.
*****Pursuant to S. 41 of the BC Human Rights code, preference may be given to Aboriginal Applicants.
- Position Start Date:
- As soon as possible
- Employment Type:
- Full Time
- Employment Term:
- Application Closing Date:
- until filled
- Application Instructions:
- Email Application, Drop Off In Person, Other
- Other Application Instructions:
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume by mail, hand delivery or email marked attention, at:
SNAIL Mail: A101-10095 Whalley Boulevard, Surrey, BC V3T 4G1
Identify the position code (AHS Coordinator) in the subject of your email, fax, and cover letter